Graphic Designer and Illustrator
This position reports directly to the Design Art Director.
Be part of an inspired team of designers and illustrators who love color & design! The Graphic Designer and Illustrator position is responsible for the overall exclusive concept, design and illustration of new gift wrap, greeting cards, gift and stationery products. This includes calendars, rubber stamps, gift items, textiles, wedding invitations and other related items that fundamentally have the Paper Source aesthetic and results in salable designs for our store, catalog and web businesses. The position works closely with the Design team, Design Art Director, Product Buyers and GMM, Wholesale team, as well as the CEO of the company.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Creates, designs and develops in collaboration and partnership with the Design and Merchandising team, Paper Source product from conception through production that delivers the true aesthetic of our brand.
- Works directly with external vendors when sending and approving production files, sometimes working with overseas contacts.
- Works with our wholesale division, Waste Not Paper, to create product presentations to gain new business with key partners in the industry.
- Demonstrates exceptional project management, organizational and time management skills that are guided by self- discipline, personal accountability and participation/partnership; can prioritize and handle multiple projects to meet tight deadlines while maintaining a professional and positive attitude within a team environment.
Graphic Design and Illustrator
- Create original artwork and typographic treatments for the design development of stationery, wedding invitation suites, personalized everyday and seasonal cards, rubber stamps, stickers, calendars, gift wrap, and gift items such as mugs, tea towels, aprons, pouches, and trinket dishes prompted by annual company line review schedule, driven by in-store set dates.
- Present product concepts, at various working stages of development, for review and direction, first from the Design Art Director, and GMM, in preparation for and prior to all product line reviews.
- Contribute to the designing of PS product packaging and labeling, with any necessary instruction sheets, die lines, and templates, keeping consistent with design standards.
- Keep current with trends in Design, stationery, home goods, fashion and related industries.
- Participate in seasonal Inspiration/Trend Meetings with team, presenting examples of inspiration and trend for discussion, review and relevance to brand.
- Participate in all Line Kick Off and Review meetings, presenting product concepts to Buyers, GMM and CEO for review and input.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field and a minimum of five years relevant experience in developing fresh and innovative product designs.
- Strong illustration skills in a variety of brand-applicable styles, willingness to adapt art based on feedback. Desired background in illustration, painting, and drawing.
- Expert proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop, with knowledge of various paper printing processes.
- Demonstrated passion for Paper Source, our products, and a desire to design products that result in the ability to engage our customers in our motto: Do Something Creative Every Day, and the ability to keep up to date on current trends.
- Experience in prepress and building final files for output; overseas experience is a plus.
- Ability to thrive and be a team player in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment within a small growing organization.